Hot Cocoa Season isn't over... YET
You can't tell me that Hot Cocoa is not the best and most comforting drink on a cold, snowy day. Especially when it's too late in the day to have that coffee, or you're not really in the mood for a cookie while you watch TV (but let's be real, who isn't always in the mood for a cookie!?).
I promise you even if you are not a big hot chocolate drinker yet, you'll be sold once you make this vegan version! I've finally mastered hot chocolate and this one is the perfect balance of cocoa, but not too sweet; rich and creamy but won't leave you feeling bloated (like unfortunately dairy does for many people - and a big reason I was never a fan of hot cocoa growing up. Any hot drink with cream or milk left me feeling nauseous).
This recipe is also a GREAT way to introduce your friends or family to plant milk if they're not already sold on it ;)
+ If you want the 18+ version of this drink, I've got you covered - I've included a boozy option too!
Vegan Hot Cocoa
- 1 cup of plant or dairy-free milk
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1-2 tbsp vegan marshmallows
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 oz Vegan cream liqueur
- Vegan sprinkles/peppermint candy
- Handful of Vegan chocolate chips or crushed dark chocolate
- In a frother, add milk and heat until foamed and hot.
- In mug, whisk cocoa, nutmeg, sugar, with a splash of milk to create a liquid paste.
- Slowly add your heated milk and whisk until combined.
- Top it with the foam, marshmallows and any additional toppings.
Add all ingredients into a small pot and heat until combined and mixture is hot. Add to a mug and finish with toppings.
Add your vegan cream liqueur in with the cocoa paste (frother) - or in the small pot and heat with the rest of your ingredients.
Changes + Swaps
I think it tastes great the way it is, but feel free to adjust to your liking!
- Plant milk: Oat milk is my favorite as it foams the best, but soy, coconut, hemp or rice milk would also work great!
- Sugar: You can swap brown sugar for coconut, date, white or even a splash of maple syrup.
- If you don't like the taste of nutmeg, leave it out ;)
+ MILK: Earth's Own Unsweetened Vanilla
+ SUGAR: Redpath, Ecoideas, Wholesome Sweeteners
+ MARSHMALLOWS: Dandie's vegan mini vanilla marshmallows
+ BOOZE: Aléa Vegan Cream Liqueur, Bailey's Almond Milk Liqueur